This time, Microsoft did not keep Insiders waiting until Friday and released the new compilation in Fast Ring much faster. The new build 20H1 includes a Cortana update, a Windows subsystem upgrade for Linux 2, an update of optional functions settings and a handful of patches.
What's new in build 18980 (20H1) for PC?
Cortana is available to everyone regardless of the language of the system
In response to feedback, Microsoft is implementing a plan to make it easier for all Windows clients to use Cortana. The first step, starting with this build, is that "all Insiders around the world will see the new Cortana icon and its new application." In a future update of this application you'll see the option to use Cortana if the user speaks a supported language – regardless of the display language!
The new Cortana app currently supports only English (US), but Microsoft announces that it will add more languages to it. These updates will be independent of Windows updates. The company expects that by the time 20H1 is released, the new application will already support all languages that Cortana normally supports. Microsoft will provide more details on this subject and progress information over time.
Windows subsystem for Linux 2 on ARM64 devices
Microsoft adds support WSL2 for ARM64 devices. The option to set the default user for distribution using the /etc/wsl.conf file has also been added. This release also includes many bug fixes, including a long-standing problem with older Windows symlinks.
Greater availability of new management for optional functions
IN build 18963 less than a month ago Microsoft introduced the site Manage optional functions several useful changes, including multiple selection, sorting options, more useful information in the list and easier navigation. These new products have been subject to A / B tests so far, and from today they are available to all Insiders in Fast Ring.
Corrections and other changes
- An update block has been applied to a previous release to make sure that Insiders with some versions of Outlook do not experience the problem. As a result, not everyone could download the update from last week. The lock has already been removed.
- A deadlock problem has been resolved netprofmsvc.dll in builds 18967+. This could freeze the update to 98% or other system functions.
- Partially resolved the issue with Outlook that did not open after clicking the new message notification.
- An issue with the touch keyboard reliability has been resolved.
- An issue with the reliability of WIN + hash has been resolved (period).
- Microsoft has decided to return to the production release of the Korean IME pending corrections.
- An issue with the reliability of screen section handling has been resolved.
- An issue with the login screen where squares next to UI elements were displayed has been resolved.
- An issue has been resolved where the thumbnails of some applications in the Task View would become blank when clicked.
- An issue has been resolved with mobile devices that were incorrectly marked as HDD on the Performance tab in Task Manager.
- As some Insiders noted, Microsoft Paint and WordPad have become optional features, so they can now be uninstalled.
- The search behavior on the Applications and functions page in Settings has been improved.
- An issue with settings crashing when updating the account image has been resolved.
- Accessibility no longer takes part in the roaming of settings. Their switch has been removed from Settings> Accounts> Settings synchronization.
- Reading through the Magnifier now works better in applications such as Firefox and Chrome.
- Reading with Magnifier no longer clicks the application when you choose to read from a given place or perform the shortcut Ctrl + Alt + Left mouse button.
- An issue has been resolved where the text cursor pointer did not show after switching from left-to-right to right-to-left languages.
- An issue has been resolved where the text cursor pointer sometimes appeared in read-only areas of the screen.
- An issue has been resolved where the text cursor pointer would sometimes appear above the Start menu instead of remaining in the Search edit box after typing in the box.
- Improved reliability of Narrator reading message headers using Shift + Tab in scan mode.
- Narrative verbosity when reading lists has been improved when verbosity is set to level one.
- An issue has been resolved with fields being edited on some pages that did not update correctly on configured Braille displays when editing content with Narrator.
- An issue with Local Experience Packs (LXPs) that could be returned to the English version has been resolved.
- An issue has been resolved with some Wi-Fi adapters that could not load (error code 10) after upgrading from an earlier Windows release.
Known bugs and problems
- Option download from the cloud in "Reset PC Settings to Initial State" does not correctly calculate the space needed to free up if there is not enough space to process. A temporary solution is to free an extra 5 GB over what functionality suggests.
- The download option from the cloud in "Reset PC Settings to Initial State" does not work if some optional features are installed. The process starts but an error occurs and changes are undone. A temporary solution is to uninstall EMS and SAC Toolset for Windows 10, IrDA infrared, Print Management Console, RAS Connection Manager Administration Kit (CMAK), RIP Listener, all RSAT tools, Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), Windows Fax and Scan, Windows Storage Management, Wireless Display and WI SNMP Provider.
- Earlier, there were problems with older versions of anti-cheat software used in games, where after upgrading to the latest 19H1 builds the system could crash with GSOD errors. Microsoft is working with partners on patches for their software, and most games have already received patches to prevent these problems. To minimize the risk of them occurring, it's a good idea to make sure you run the current versions of the games before upgrading. Microsoft is also working with developers of anti-cheat systems and games to solve similar problems that may occur in 20H1 builds, and to minimize the likelihood of them occurring in the future.
- Some Realtek SD card readers do not work properly. Microsoft is investigating the matter.
- After upgrading to this build, the installation of the new language pack may be successful, but in reality it will not be installed.
- Selected 2D applications (Feedback Center, Microsoft Store, 3D Viewer) are unreasonably treated by Windows Mixed Reality as protected content.
- When recording video while reporting an error in the Feedback Center in Windows Mixed Reality, you cannot stop recording. You can only temporarily wait up to 5 minutes until the maximum recording time has elapsed.
Soon we will not have to exercise anymore to use Cortana if we use the system in Polish. However, before the change takes effect, you can use our guide: How to run Cortana in Windows 10 PL?
Hello my name is Karl, I’m from Germany 🙂 you will find here alot of information about cryptocurrencies, especially bitcoin, some information about software for windows, reviews about social media and other usefull stuff ! 🙂 hope you will like that.